It ★★★½

When I first saw the trailer for IT, I was ecstatic that they chose the darker, creepier, R-rated route that they did. The book is scary enough to produce a horrific film.

IT delivered well in those scary scenes. There are plenty of genuinely weird moments that produced strong reactions from the crowd (and several funny ones too). But several scenes seemed to fall under the typical big-budget horror film outline --throwing in senseless jump scares to produce a reaction.

Pennywise is genuinely terrifying, Bill Skarsgard made sure of that. I love the much darker tone he gave the character as opposed to the 90s version.

Several writing/editing issues came up as well. There was a long period where all of the members of the losers club would individually have their first encounter with IT cut one after the other. It seemed sloppy because there was no transition or ease into the next scene. It seemed to only exist for the purpose of all of the kids encountering IT and wasn't even discussed until much later in the film. The content was necessary for the film but I feel like it could have been done in a way that didn't make it feel so out of place.

I really really liked child actor Jaeden Lieberher as Bill. Easily the best of the performances of the loser's club.

So I guess all the hype for this film left me a little disappointed but this was still a really fun time that I had at the theater.

*EDIT* HOW THE HECK DID I NOT KNOW THAT LIEBERHER WAS THE BOY FROM MIDNIGHT SPECIAL

Josh liked these reviews