Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me ★★★★★

"Do you think that if you were falling in space... that you would slow down after a while, or go faster and faster?"

"Faster and faster. And for a long time you wouldn't feel anything. And then you'd burst into fire. Forever... And the angel's wouldn't help you. Because they've all gone away."

A girl afraid of her own home, of her own father. The stairs up to her bedroom will never mean the same thing again. Being reminded that the people around you truly love you, but accepting that your time is coming to an end. We know how this story ends, but Lynch makes the audience experience every painful moment leading up to the most painful moment of Laura's life. By the time that moment happens, we have already seen the true horror behind Laura's murder; the 7 day culmination of over 5 years of haunting and trauma. A girl numbing her pain with drugs and sex, anything to stay away from her house and her real friends. But this isn't Laura's fault, no, Fire Walk With Me is about how abuse empties you out, and leaves you confused, alone, scared, and lost.

While Twin Peaks slowly pulled the curtain (literally in a way) on the evil underground of the town, Fire Walk With Me tears the curtain in half. A 2-hour long nightmare culminates with a smile, tears of joy, and perhaps a reaffirmation of faith or a soul ascending to heaven. Is this her true escape? I don't think so. I think she still has that chance. I hope to see you soon, Laura.

"It's just me now"

Also:
Sheryl Lee gives one of the greatest performances I've seen in my life, and then she was just in nothing worth mentioning following this (not including The Return of course, which I have finished 2 episodes of at the time this review was written). That's almost a bigger tragedy than the contents of the film itself

Jaden liked these reviews