Lady Bird ★★★★½

"We're afraid that we will never escape our past.
We're afraid of what the future will bring.
We're afraid we won't be loved, we won't be liked, and we won't succeed.
"

As soon as I walked out of the theatre, I immediately thought to myself that this was another one of those movies that I was incapable of reviewing. Usually I don't dwell on that and move on, but I started thinking why it was so hard for me to come up with something to write for these types of films, and I realized it's because I always talk about a scene, a quote, or some technical aspect, and movies like this one transcend that. Movies like Lady Bird are so deeply personal that I can't put my finger on what I liked about them because it isn't one thing in particular; it's the body of work itself that resonates so deeply with me that I'm at a loss for words when I try to think of something that can accurately describe why I liked it so much. It's fitting that this is my 900th movie of all time, because this was a breaking point in the way that I process movies after I watch them. It really made me think hard about why movies affect me the way they do, and how a film about a teenage girl from Sacramento, California who was born to a poor family and is getting through Catholic high school impacted me, someone who has never lived through any of those things, so much. We're all human, after all.

And I know that this review sort of defeats its purpose because it isn't really a review, but it's all I can really say.

Juan liked these reviews