Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★½

2018 has been a great year for the Webhead.

We started out with Infinity War giving us the most iconic Spider-Man moment since Raimi's trilogy, and this film has given us the most unique superhero film since Logan.

The animation style of this film is crazy, and the longer the movie went on the more and more I fell in love with the comic-book style animation. The same goes for the characters. I couldn't believe how many iconic, re-designed, or lesser-known characters were integrated into this amazing story. Miles Morales is a character for the ages, and Jake Johnson's Peter Parker might be my favorite portrayal of the character. If he's not the best, he's certainly tied with Maguire. Overall, this movie is on par with Spider Man 2 for me in terms of an overall product. It might be better if it didn't suffer from one flaw that I'm gonna talk about in just a second.

So the visual style is unique and refreshing, the story is complex, but isn't hard to follow. The action is exciting, where could this movie go wrong? Well... there might be three too many characters in this movie.

Half of the Spider-People (a boy, a girl, and a pig) that show up here don't get a lot of individual screen time or development, especially the pig. That would be fine if we already knew who these characters were and could sort of laugh with them, but a lot of people, especially kids, probably don't know who SP//DR or Spider Man Noir is. And that makes me sad because the actors that play these three characters are all perfectly matched to their animated counterparts, and a spinoff movie with Nicolas Cage is a must-have for me. But in this movie, the ensemble just wasn't what I wanted to be, especially considering the risk that a movie like this poses with these lesser-known characters.

I don't want to grind the movie too much though. While even during the movie I had a moment where I was disappointed in the ensemble, there are more emotional moments here than in Homecoming. There's a twist that results in a heartbreaking moment. Stan Lee's cameo made me tear up a little. The ending is amazingly satisfying, and the character that ends up as the main villain is compelling and intimidating. The alternate takes on familiar villain characters are extremely entertaining. The post credits scene is hilarious, and sets up something else I'd like to see in the future.

This is one everyone can enjoy. Sit back, relax, and jump into the Spider-Verse.

Jennings liked these reviews