Hereditary

Hereditary ★★★★½

It has been a long time since a horror movie has absolutely chilled me to the bone, but Hereditary did it.

This movie deals with many dark and disturbing themes, and its characters are deeply flawed, allowing for these themes to be explored in a very personal manner. What really scared me in this film though was not what I did see (although there is plenty of nightmare-inducing imagery) but rather what I didn't see, and the conflicts within the characters. Ari Aster knows that fear doesn't just come from scary things that go bump in the night, and his directing is fantastic here, and he knows how to craft a scary film. And I know everyone has been saying it, but Toni Collette deserves an Oscar nomination for her incredible performance here; in fact, everyone here brings their A-game, and the characters feel so real and genuine, and I really cared for their predicaments, even if they aren't all the best people. This movie genuinely sent shivers down my spine on several occasions, and I'm going to be thinking about this one for a while. As for problems, there is a bit of a tonal shift about halfway through where it starts to become a slightly more conventional - but still enthralling - horror movie, and it took a bit for me to adjust to that. That's about it. This is one of the best movies I've seen so far this year, and I implore you to see this with a packed theater, as I did. Probably A24's best horror movie to date.
GRADE: A