Our Time ★★★

Perhaps Our Time is meant as a recuperative gesture from international cinema shock jock Reygadas, or perhaps he felt that after his past provocations, the most outrageous thing he could do is serve us a self-serious, Bergmanesque epistolary relationship drama starring his own family. There’s no escaping that had Bergman directed this in his prime it would be half the length (with twice the insight.. and better performances…), yet it must be observed that once this three-hour film establishes its dramatic stakes and its slow, steady groove, it more or less works on the terms that it sets out. At its core the story of a love triangle on a Mexican cattle ranch that becomes known to all parties by the film’s midpoint, Our Time could resolve itself in any number of different ways and it’s to Reygadas’ credit that any of these seem plausible until the final frames. This is partially because an early violent incident involving a bull hangs over everything that follows, but also because it soon becomes obvious that Reygadas is more interested in indulging himself than our dramatic expectations.