Scream

Scream ★★★★★

It’s quite amazing to me how constantly good The Scream franchise is. The first film is a classic, the second is a very solid sequel, the third movie is actually not as bad as I remembered it’s a flawed but fun film. The fourth film is one of my favorite films from the 2010s. Scream (2022) is a love letter to the franchise in the best way possible, for starters there’s tons and tons of references from the past films that feel earned. It’s a huge celebration to the series, the acting is another constantly great part about this series. Where as some other slasher series struggle in the acting department, Scream has managed to give some great acting scenes and here is no exception. The highlight is Jenna Ortega who does a brilliant job in her role while yes as I said earlier Scream has always had good acting, but Ortega truly brought something new to the table and actually manages to outclass even the veterans of the series. The humor is absolutely phenomenal here, it tackles toxic fandoms and truly does a great job with it. It balances the comedy and serious moments of the film, which is something this series has always been really great at. Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett who previously directed Ready Or Not truly do a fantastic job here, they both capture everything that people love about the series and turn it up to eleven. The kills are much more brutal this time around making for some pretty intense and thrilling kills, the rest of the cast is quite great here Melissa Barrera, Jack Quaid, Mason Gooding, Jasmin Savoy Brown and the three veterans Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox and David Arquette! It’s great seeing all of these characters together, lastly the film itself is just a huge blast. It’s some of the most fun I’ve had with a horror film in awhile and truly shows that this series always has a trick up it’s sleeve! Overall Scream is a fantastic film that would have made Wes Craven proud, it’s a huge tribute to the series that I can see evolving even more in the future!

Scream is playing in theaters

10/10 A+