2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

From the man who brought “Paths of Glory,” “Lolita,” and “Spartacus,” to life, comes an epic, yet legendary, science-fiction drama film based on Arthur C. Clarke’s novel entitled “2001: A Space Odyssey”.
The film, made by my all-time favorite director, Stanley Kubrick, is considered by many as one of the most influential cinematic achievements ever captured on film. Even on this day, “2001: A Space Odyssey” remains as a masterpiece.

I have to admit though, “2001: A Space Odyssey” is actually the very first Stanley Kubrick film I have seen. The first time I saw it was on YouTube, but I didn’t manage to watch it completely, so when I saw it on Cinemax, I decided to watch it through and through since Science-fiction is one of my favorite film genre.

From the moment the music struck my ears, I knew that this going to be a great film. When the first few shots blend in from the screen, I was gaping with awe. The cinematography is so well done; it felt like it was filmed during the magic hour. After The Dawn of Man scenario, the film fast forward through time and left me by surprise during the Outer Space scenes. I couldn't believe what I’m watching. The miniatures, the effects, and the music of Blue Danube are so well fitted, the sequence looks so realistic.

The film’s pacing maybe a problem for most. They complain that it was too slow. But for me, that wasn't much of a problem. The film’s slow pacing is actually one of Stanley Kubrick’s techniques to show more grand special effects for his audience. It was also his techniques to fully show the deeper meaning of the story. The Star-gate sequence did, however, made me yawn. It was lengthy but it was also beautifully disturbing. I still don’t get the ending though. But I think it’s more of a metaphor rather than a scene.

Plot aside, the actors for the film, Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood, acted their characters perfectly. Unfortunately, none of them can outmatch the performance of HAL 9000. Who knew that a computer machine can be this chillingly scary? And yet, I feel sorry for him when Dave shut him down while singing Daisy over and over again very slowly.

My verdict for “2001: A Space Odyssey” is that, even it’s my number one favorite film of all time, it surely not the movie that changed my life. If there’s one thing this film changed me; that one probably goes to my appreciation for the man who made it. Without him, I probably wouldn't express my gratitude to the great films of yesterday.

Jerricson liked these reviews