We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin ★★★★

A deeply unsettling character study, not of Kevin himself but of Tilda Swinton's character, Eva, a mother struggling through different phases of guilt and confusion as we switch between key stages of her life. Lynne Ramsay does an excellent job jumping back and forth between the different time periods without becoming hard to follow, especially in the way it relates to Eva's psyche. The camerawork and lighting are also very well-done and I particularly liked the use of the colour red which had an ever-present feeling. I think the only thing that started to become frustrating was the character of Kevin. Maybe it was the two performances, both child and teen, or maybe it was the script, but while he did come across as appropriately disturbing it was hard to take his edginess seriously at times. However, that reminds me that We Need To Talk About Kevin can actually be darkly comic which I was not expecting. But altogether it's a film about motherhood, the blame we put on ourselves, and the unending question of "why" that we attach to our life. A really powerful piece.

Jester851 liked this review