Get Out

Get Out ★★★★

Last night, I was running through my top movies of the year and decided to take another whack at Get Out. The first time I saw this movie I had an absolute blast at the theatre. I laughed, I jumped scared, I watched in terror and awe and I left the movie not thinking much further of the picture except that it was great fun.

In the time since that viewing, the world has fallen madly, head over heels in love with this movie and I thought I'd see what I may have missed the first time around.

Turns out, on a second viewing I had just as much fun as the first time, taking in the subtle nods leading to a climactic ending that I'm sure you know all too well at this point. Jordan Peele's directorial debut has so much substance. On a second watch you realize how each scene has been carefully crafted to give you just the right amount of tension before backing off, or just the right inflection to side with a character before paranoia seeps back in. The scene specifically with the officer on the road makes even more sense - if not damning an already damned character further. How long did it take Peele to write this!?!

The running themes I think went over my privileged white dude's head the first time round, even thinking that they appropriately explain why black people are victims - but on second viewing, they didn't really. Just that it was fashionable. It 100% is cultural appropriation with a hard line to slavery. This theme is shockingly apparent now - and makes me feel like I'm an idiot for not catching it while I was enjoying it the first time round. There is great care taken to craft a fun, exciting thriller with excellent characters.

So why not the 5 stars that so many have deemed to place on this film? Well, I think the third act could've been 15 minutes longer. We're not compelled to get out of our chairs yet, dammit! We're rich with our characters and we don't want to leave them by the time the finale hits! And sure as the credits roll I'm exhilarated, but I would have loved just a little bit more to help wrap it up. Another cheer for our heroes & villains that are presented so perfectly. It is after all a movie that needs to be wrapped tightly - almost like the Sixth Sense or Seven.

But ultimately, 2nd time round, I think it really was even more fun than my first go - and that's the one thing that I think people forget to mention.

I understand its importance and it's breakout in genre structure. It's starring role for a relatively unknown black actor. I understand all these things - but what people aren't discussing is how enjoyable a picture this is! You leave feeling exhausted because you've had a great experience at the movies! This isn't our usual award fare that you'll watch once, understand it's value and put it back on the shelf to collect dust! This is at times an important discussion piece, but also one you can put on when your friends come over and cheer along together. It bridges both these gaps so succinctly that I wish that people talked more about that. It's fun AND it's important! Normally we don't get that, and that is what makes GET OUT special. Can't wait for another viewing!