Mamma Mia!

Mamma Mia! ★★★★½

This is a movie that would probably mostly appeal to a very specific demographic. I am in that demographic though. This shit was an absolute blast from start to finish. Amanda Seyfried sang "I have a dream, a song to sing", and I was already onboard.

This is literally about Sophie's struggle to find her father because her mother Donna raw-dogged three dudes in a super short period of time. Pull-out game weak, goddamn. But despite the nonsensical plot, this really won me over. I'd say at least 80% of the musical numbers were bangers. A few here and there felt a bit stilted or artificial (there's definitely some back-up singers in play... I wonder which actors actually sang the songs and which ones didn't), but for every flop, there were six musical numbers that just worked. The way it was integrated into the story felt very seamless. I had a smile on my face the entire runtime. And I was definitely low-key holding back tears when Seyfried and Streep were doing a duet of Sliping Through My Fingers!!!

The jump from this to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for Stellan Skarsgård is insane. What a lovable guy he is in this film!

Top 5 Musical Numbers in Mamma Mia!: