Halloween ★★★★★

Like Rosemary's Baby, this is one I like to watch very fleetingly. In a semi-successful attempt to not let any of the flavour out of the bottle, I guess. But I gained a copy for the first time the other week so I thought it was time, like Michael, I went back to Haddonfield.

Certainly not a disappointment. Scary as shit. I magnified the experience by doing it with headphones as well. Far from a modern device applied to piss off jaded moviegoers, the 'jump scare' is liberally used here, some have the tenacity to be FALSE 'jump scares' as well. Outrageous ;-)

There were quite a few things I'd forgotten. Michael just driving around stalking his prey. That had completely left my mind. It works really well, unless you stop to question how he acquired the skills to work an automobile when you consider his almost life-long imprisonment. Let's brush that under the carpet as it helps set the dread. I also thought I remembered Jamie Lee Curtis' plight being longer. But Loomis shows up about 20 minutes earlier than I expected. Shows how powerful her desperate survival attempts were on me.

One thing I definitely remembered was the score. Loud and overbearing, but more importantly, utterly brilliant. If that music doesn't work, the film falls on its William Shatner face. Again, it's often used to not only unsettle but out and out scare or startle. A tactic deemed to be cheap by critics, but music is used to elicit specific responses in all types of films. Making your audience jump is fun. Should only horror filmmakers who are critical darlings be allowed to use it? Of course not.

General conclusions of this are that this is indeed a classic slasher. Not perfect as wooden acting and stilted dialogue occur often but those aren't things I'm generally after. Just the scares please. And this delivers.

Jim liked these reviews