The Lobster ★★★★

Well....this is certainly unlike anything I've ever seen before.

The people I do feel sorry for are the ones whose job it was the advertise this. I mean, that's gotta be one hell of a task.

Anyway The Lobster is pretty damn good, though not without its flaws. I didn't quite know what to think of it as I left the cinema, but now I think I have a pretty solid understanding of my opinion of it.

The idea is wonderfully off the wall and absurd, the writing is very funny, it can really get disturbing at times, and it has some really nice character work. And yet, I feel the great premise isn't actually utilised as well as it should have been. I find the idea of a dystopian world where being single is outlawed interesting, but the concept of being turned into an animal is never really used other than in one scene and is quickly almost abandoned.

It felt more of a thing to be put on the blurb rather than something that actually needed to be there.

However the great cinematography does a wonderful job of making a normal city seem otherworldly and different. The incredibly dark humour works tremendously well and all the performances are spot on.

Honestly, I think I would've have preferred it as a novel. Written by someone like Chuck Palahniuk, I really think it could have been something amazing, as it stands I don't think it quite reaches it's potential.

Still worth a watch for how unabashedly strange it is.