Paris, Texas ★★★★½

Emotion.

The defining factor when coming to judging films. Having a great time, feeling something worthwhile that I'll stick to you long after watching it, is a sign of a good film. While Paris, Texas had some staying power, it definitely didn't reach the level I was expecting to, like something like Come And See, but not to undermine the greatness of this film.

We start with our protagonist Travis, travelling through the Mojave desert, alone until he encounters a store, eats some ice from an ice machine, and collapses, to then being inspectioned by a local doctor. His relatives are notified and his brother comes to pick him up, only to discover that he is already gone. Travis is gone, looking for something, not sure as to what it is. His heart is broken.

First up, this is one of the most gorgeous films out there. Lots of vibrant & varied use of color and great use of symmetry, exemplified with the first appearance of Jane in the peep booth, or the telephone call at the side of the Café. Hell, the background shots are 10/10 material alone.

Back onto the plot and story, there was a sense of mystery lingering in the air as the film progressed. We know that Travis is hiding something, and we are drawn to this mystery and emotionally connected to his cause as he slowly gets his shit together. We have those intimate character moments in which they show his humanity, talking to his son about space and whatever, those are keen when making a humane character. We are attached to his cause as he wants to know the whereabouts of his love after all that he went through. The subtle movements and gestures further up the pain that the Winston suffers, along with the uncertainty of his relatives. The twist is that this wasn't a mystery, but a romance after all. The Monologue is probably one of the best performed scenes I've seen, causing an inmensely emotional impact upon us, just putting that out there that tears were shed by my part without any shame. The melancholic ending perfectly wraps up the arc that Winston was going through; and as a sidenote, astonished that this film went faster that I originally thought would go. Few films can do that.

Although with not that memorable of a first act, Paris, Texas gets more interesting as it goes through until the third act punches you right in your feelings. Expecting this to improve with future rewatches.

9/10