Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Hunt for the Wilderpeople ★★★★½

87/100

"I won't go back to society. Form fillers."
"What?"
"That's how the government tracks you. Anything you want to do, you need to fill out a form. Then they send that form upstairs and have you fill out a second form to verify that it was you who filled out the first form. Don't want to fill out forms anymore? Well they've got about five forms for that. Don't even get me started on the national rugby team."

Hunt for the Wilderpeople, that's "wilder" as in human wildebeests as the teenage protagonist explains it, is a sensational film with few downfalls and plenty to smile about. With what little there is to dislike, I'm not very fond of the choices in score. While I see that they wanted something different, the music just wasn't the right kind of different in my ears. It simply didn't fit with what they had working in the other categories. Without much else wrong, let's discuss what's good and great here. The performances are mostly excellent with especially good fun from Rhys Darby's "Bush Man," a.k.a. "Psycho Sam". Neill is also excellent, but the real joy is in the writing and superb direction. The script delivers all the fun, adapted for the screen by the director himself, while Waititi's direction steals the show visually, appearing to borrow elements from the likes of Wes Anderson and Edgar Wright's visually comedic talents. The director is also slated to helm Thor: Ragnarok, which is a surprisingly new direction that I was hoping to see with Wright's Ant-Man. Hopefully Disney/Marvel just let's the man do his thing. Either way, this film here is nonetheless superb and I recommend it highly.