The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★½

I never fit in, for lots of reasons. But movies were always there for me.

Do kids today know about Numa Numa guy? From ye olden dayes, when every meme had a life-span of years.

Following in the foot-steps of Into The Spider-Verse, The Mitchells vs. The Machines is another movie that demonstrates that the wide-spread, negative perception of 3D animation compared to 2D has a lot more to do with the visual hegemony enacted by the likes of Disney and Dreamworks, and that 3D animation has just as much potential as its hand-drawn brethren to be artistically distinct and imaginative.

Like Spider-Verse, this is a movie bursting with so many visual details and hidden gags that it's practically guaranteed you won't catch them all on a first viewing. There's a frankly insane level of heart and humor packed into just about every frame.

And oh boy, what a truly hilarious movie this is. It seems all too rare to find a movie that makes me laugh this hard, and it's always such a treat. Not to mention one scene, which I shan't spoil, but it featured a beloved toy of the 90s, and was one of the most hilariously delightful sequences I've seen in a minute.

And of course, because this is a movie about a Weird Girl™ who's heading off to college and has a strained relationship with her dad (also robot apocalypse), it's also an effectively heartfelt story, in amongst all its zany silliness.

This isn't a movie which was even remotely on my radar, and the title made me think it would be one of those bland, drop-'em-off-to-flop animated movies when I first saw it; if not for the recent positive reviews, I might have missed it entirely. But man, it is truly some of the most fun I've had watching a movie all year.

I recommend this so highly.

Corwyn liked these reviews