The Tribe

The Tribe ★★★½

A haunting, uniquely told film that uses silence to its advantage. Telling the story of a boy at a school for the deaf who joins a gang, The Tribe is a movie that requires full attention. There are no words, no subtitles, and very few sounds other than ambient noise. As such, it's up to the viewers to piece things together by taking note of subtle motions, body language, and visual cues. What followed was a thrilling experience that I'd not had in many years- a fully immersive film that allowed me to essentially write its majority. Which is not to say what exists isn't well done- the acting is top notch, as is the anxious cinematography, which invokes a strange sense of claustrophobia and loneliness. Of course, there are people out there who can easily follow along if they speak sign language (I am not one of those people), and I'd be interested to see if its merit holds up, but I think the novelty lies in not knowing. For those brave enough for the challenge, it's one I'd recommend; it just may change the way you view films.