The Order ★★★★★

Massive…the only (obvious) comparison I have to this is Farrokhzad's THE HOUSE IS BLACK. Lepers fascinate me, not solely because of the disease but because of the societal fear of these suffering humans, and the way society treats them as anything but human. Here, Pollet scores big, despite the pretty banal french narration of the time (echoed in dozens of films) where you ask a question poetically then softly say "No" and on and on. When Pollet strays from that repetition he really strikes a bit of rawness in contrasts he presents, thinking mainly of the difference between framing the main leper interviewee in (to me, monstrous) black and white, and (to me, more humanizing) color stock. The main leper he interviews carries the weight of the work, and is more philosophical and abrasive in questioning the purpose of documenting himself than Pollet is in his pondering segments (usually accompanied by shots of water or sidewalks). But still, even accidental, Pollet gets it right here, and the ending impression is just as challenging and abrasive to the viewer's comfort as the aforementioned film, also a masterpiece.