Tenet

Tenet ★★★½

2020 Ranked
Tenet is..... fine. I wish I had a spicier take but overall it is completely okay. I honestly wish this was better, because Nolan directing a Bond-esque reality-jumping action movie with John David Washington and Robert Pattinson starring sounds insane theoretically.

Anyways, I still enjoyed it. I think Nolan has just gone too far with the whole "it's a mindfuck" trope, because this felt unnecessarily complicated. I assume if there was no COVID, or once everything goes back to normal, almost everyone will be confused by it. There were some more obvious indications of the realities overlapping which was cool, but I think he for the most part went too far.

The story is pretty much what a standard James Bond movie would be if you sprinkled in the sci-fi aspects of Inception and Interstellar, which I didn't mind but it didn't totally work. From a technical level this is obviously incredible, and I loved the sound editing and score and how they both heavily utilized reversing sound to give it that extra fantastical jolt.

As for the performances, I liked most of them, but Kenneth Branagh I unfortunately didn't like. Pattinson and Washington both kill it, but I can't help but think they totally underutilized Elizabeth Debicki. All in all, Tenet is solid, definitely not in the upper echelon of Christopher Nolan's filmography, but still worth a watch.

JoaquinAround liked these reviews