Twin Peaks: The Return ★★★★

It's listed on here so I'm logging it on here. Finished the last five episodes on the log-date after re-watching the first 13 between Christmas and New Year—an appropriately dateless period for a viewing experience so dependent upon keeping (or not keeping) abreast of multiple threads, ideas, people, events.

I love this. Knowing where it was all headed—and with that brilliant ending in mind—minimised the frustrations and reservations felt during those stop-start binge-burst catch-ups across the summer.

Incidentally, here's what I had to say about it in the form of an 80-minute conversation with @bbbylw days after the finale aired first time around. From a new essay in this new collection, meanwhile:

Twin Peaks made us aware of time passing. Where did that summer go? Where did the year? Not only did the third season’s 18 episodes crawl across nearly as many weeks, but it also made a point of its own temporal fragmentation. For every narrative unit that teased its way toward some resolution, another several were prised open. There were cul-de-sacs, false starts, namechecks without follow-ups; towards the end, it became apparent that we were indeed watching storylines unfolding and intersecting across different timescales.

Revisiting it, in that timeless no man’s land between Christmas and New Year, I am reminded: the frustrations, the excitements, the exasperation prompted by the macro structure and the thrill of the fractured, scene-to-scene progression. As the weeks went by, as its plots thickened, each new episode of Twin Peaks Season 3 seemed to have fewer scenes than the last; the sequences seemed to get more drawn out, more pregnant with an awareness of the violence of time.