The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring ★★★★★

Extended Edition

Considering how much I love these films, I really should have seen the extended editions by now. Alas, I only have so much time on my hands. However, today I discovered that my local multiplex has opened back up and, in lieu of new releases, is screening popular classic films, including the extended editions of this trilogy. So of course I had to risk going to the theater.

It’s always been a dream/fantasy/wish of mine to see these films on the big screen. Needless to say, I was so giddy to be sitting in that auditorium- with only one other person, no less- that the second “New Line Cinema Presents” popped up on screen with that music I had chills all over my body. And holy shit, this is fucking phenomenal on the big screen. The visual effects still hold up. The production design is unparalleled. The location shots are even more breathtaking. Having all the character close-ups projected on a massive screen helped emphasize how phenomenal the cast- as well as casting- of these films really is, Ian McKellen in particular.

Having never seen the extended edition before, it was also very exciting to be seeing this in a new light. While I felt that some of the additional footage felt rather pointless and caused a bit of awkwardness, most of it enriched the experience and took the film to new heights. It gave me more background, made character motivations clearer, immersed me in the world even more.

As always:
Boromir broke my heart.
I would die for Sam.
This trilogy is an absolute miracle and I don’t think we’ll ever see the likes of it in blockbuster cinema ever again.

Ecstatic for the next two.

Joseph liked this review