I like my westerns how I like my pasta
is there a single director alive who can do satire like Paul Verhoeven? I think not! this is perhaps the greatest film about the military industrial complex i’ve seen, because of the simple fact that it’s perhaps the only one that truly understands how grotesque and silly it all is. Verhoeven is quickly becoming one of my very favorites. yay fascism!
fucking unreal on the big screen. as if I was seeing it for the first time. also, I think I am officially an extended edition convert. the story feels just that much more complete, filling in blanks I had never even thought about. It genuinely astonishes me that not only did these films get made, but that they also turned out this fucking good. love love love
“So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?”
I can’t say I have a true “favorite” of this trilogy, because I view it all as one massive epic that gels together almost seamlessly. That being said, I think this one is by far the “weakest” of the trilogy, although that really isn’t saying much when they all rule so hard. My main issue with this one I think simply lies in some of its pacing…
Considering how much I love these films, I really should have seen the extended editions by now. Alas, I only have so much time on my hands. However, today I discovered that my local multiplex has opened back up and, in lieu of new releases, is screening popular classic films, including the extended editions of this trilogy. So of course I had to risk going to the theater.
It’s always been a dream/fantasy/wish of mine to see these…
several things are true about this musical:
1. the music unfortunately fucking SLAPS.
2. the show is also unfortunately brilliantly staged, choreographed, and acted.
3. Lin-Manuel Miranda should be jailed.
4. this show has done tremendous things for representation in a remarkably white-dominated industry, and also does something very interesting in reclaiming history for the minorities that are constantly erased from that same history.
5. the show, regardless of all these good things, is ultimately revisionist, sugarcoated faux-progressive diversity porn…