Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell

On rewatch, and especially in IMAX, I appreciated this a bit more. Its heady philosophical ideas about the intersection of consciousness and technology leave you with plenty to chew on. The animation is stunning with some truly enveloping cyberpunk atmosphere and action that has more weight and impact than many live action films we get today. Yet I still find a lot of the plot impenetrable, and a good bit of that is just how quickly it moves through exposition in a way that often feels punishing for people trying to both read the subtitles and appreciate the imagery on display. I think I have a better idea of what happened this time but I still feel like I need to read a plot summary to get the full scope. Call me a heretic but an IMAX rerelease would’ve been a perfect time to make a really good dubbed version. I understand this isn’t really the filmmakers fault, if I spoke Japanese I would certainly be able to keep better pace. I also don’t know how much the plot ultimately matters in comparison to the thematic stuff. I’m much happier connecting with the latter than the former.

I’ll probably only check out the ScarJo remake if I find my self particularly bored and curious, for obvious reasons. But I do think this is prime material for a James Cameron type to bring to Hollywood. We already have films heavily influenced by it like The Matrix but I do yearn for a cyberpunk set in a futuristic Silicon Valley that tackles all of these ideas from an American lens.

Joe liked these reviews