Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★

This movie was cool! It's style is really fun throughout. I liked some things about it, but have a few hangups on other things.

Spiderman has a lot of features, but maybe his most prominent feature is loss. It seems that no matter who gets bit by a radioactive spider, they lose someone, and are motivated by their death. This is one of the things that people love about Spiderman. I liked how Peter is faced with regret and longing after seeing a better version of himself. His gluttony is played for laughs but is derived from his sorrow.

I felt disappointed that there was no scene where Miles uses his spider powers to make graffiti. This seemed like a missed opportunity, it has a perfect setup because he was bit by the spider while spraypainting in the same way Peter was bit while taking photographs. I remember a scene where he says "let's see dad find this one" after putting a sticker really high up, but then, at the end, he only makes a mural on the street WITH THE COP'S PERMISSION. And it's shown for like 2 seconds.

This is a big problem for me because this movie is about forging your own identity, but The Spiders become heroes in the same way Peter Parker does. The bad guys are still a mafia boss, a mad scientist, a freak, and a foreigner. The Spiders have a reason to work together to solve the problem, but they're all still butt-kicking vigilantes. They protect humanity by arresting a criminal and destroying a science project. This movie comes very close to being interesting, but falls back on some very dated rehashes. Seeing spiderman spraypainting propaganda on a billboard is what we really need.

There was one scene I really hated. They go to Aunt May's house to use the computer, and it turns out Peter has made a giant cavernous lair underneath her house. This makes no sense, he's not Batman. This was also the same scene that introduced the 3 DLC spiderpeople, all at the exact same time. I didn't especially want to see more of them, but it still felt like a rushed way to bring them into the story.

I saw this movie in 3D while wearing a VR headset. It was a cool experience but it really hurt my eyes. I was wishing for the movie to end already because I was in pain. I feel like it could have been about 20 minutes shorter.