Spider-Man 3

Spider-Man 3 ★★★★★

I’m not asking you to forgive me. I just want you to understand.

The theme of forgiveness not being something you should expect to receive, but something you should seek to give pervades Spider-Man 3. Life is a delicate balance of correcting our own mistakes while accepting those of others. It’s incredibly hard, so so incredibly hard. We will hurt the ones we love and get nothing in return but their hurt. That’s the weight we must bear. Loving someone is accepting that they can/will ruin you. Being loved by someone is the fear that you too hold that power over them. With great power comes great responsibility.

The final scene is the most powerful I’ve seen in a superhero movie. Two people, after everything, coming together, giving everything and asking nothing in return. Needing someone, despite all that you’ve done/will do to each other, that’s love and that’s what makes life worth living.

I revisited this film last year and it surprised me as the richest, most human of the Raimi trilogy. Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 are excellent pieces of pulpy entertainment, Spider-Man 3 is so much more. Watching it once again tonight I’m convinced that, warts and all, this is one of the best superhero movies of all time.

Joel liked these reviews