The Biggest Little Farm ★★★★

Kudos to John for the 360º film work. Running a farm from scratch while keeping the cameras rolling while picking up crazy cool "nature-doc" shots while churning out bits of philosophical wisdom is *very* hard to pull off. The farm was hard, the movie was hard. I guess he's a hardcore man, in love with a hardcore woman.

The movie is a captivating demonstration of how (extreme) regenerative agriculture works. We also have lots of snails in our lot, it has been left out, impoverished over the years. When there is very little life diversity the harshest species will start cropping first. You have to endure the first seasons of weird, urban life. Humans did this to the ecosystem. In the case of the Apricot Lane farm they decided to grow a bountiful paradise where there was nothing but desert and monocultures around. The task would have been much easier if they had decided to start a farm in the context of other organic farms. The ecosystem would have been there to embrace them. So they wouldn't have to invent the wheel themselves.

Also, without water, you're boned.

There's is something messianic about Americans, sometimes. The Dream is an absolute value, worthy as of itself, not to be questioned. It's equal parts naif and bold, "we're gonna do it, no matter what". There is this unabated drive that won't make you stop, as if quitting meant to die.

I can only imagine the amount of beautiful, memorable, delicious material that had to stay out of the final cut. If this was a series, I'd probably watch it all, eagerly.

The movie is worth it for the cinematography alone. It ends with a note that could easily merge into David Attencourough's recent creation; when nature is left to itself it works in perfect harmony. It's a perfect planet.

Thanks to Paula Simplício for pointing me to this "absolute must-see" or "obrigatorioníssimo".

Fred liked this review