The Peanut Butter Falcon ★★★★½

I avoided this film for as long as I could because I deeply dislike Shia LeBouf. He’s got this weird little blue-collar fetish going on that really puts me on edge.

Unfortunately for my prejudices, I thought The Peanut Butter Falcon was a really great film. It’s a simple road movie – it makes a point of deliberately evoking Huckleberry Finn to show us how simple its story is – but bubbling underneat is something special and the film occasionally pulls off some unexpected of grace and beauty that elevate the entire thing. Everyone in this film, from Zack Gottsagen to Jake the Snake (JAKE THE FUCKIN SNAKE) turn in amazing performances. And, ugh, much as I hate to admit it, Shia LeBouf was pretty great too.

It’s also got this slight hint of magical realism going on, and that kinda gets more overt as the film goes on, and I feel like this might be a bit of a Marmite situation: you’ll either love it or you’ll hate it. Personally, it was exactly what I needed.

(On a side note, I’ve been worried that my depression has been getting on top of me in recent weeks because of how negatively I’ve reacted to so many critically acclaimed films so it was a genuine delight to get halfway through this film and realise I was enjoying it so much. Phew!)