The Matrix Revolutions

The Matrix Revolutions ★★★★★

"Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you do it? Why? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? Something more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose. And all as artificial as the Matrix itself, although, only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. There's no point in fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?"
"Because I choose to."

For my money, the most misunderstood and undeservedly hated blockbusters of all time that isn't a Star Wars prequel.

I kept the whole exchange above because I genuinely believe it is one of the best exchanges in modern cinema, certainly the best in the trilogy. I'm not sure if it takes the spot over the first Matrix as my favorite of the series, but WOW is it close. A gorgeously shot and executed vision of the world where the most powerful forces in existence are love and hope, and we never run out of chances to get it right because every ending is a new beginning.

It's just all so powerful if you're operating on the Wachowski's wavelength which I most certainly am. Everything exists to serve a higher purpose of the importance of choice, faith, belief, and courage. One of the most gorgeous CGI battles ever put to film, coupled with the most emotional moments of the whole series all purely and wholly driven by a sole vision and message. When you boil it down, it's all so simple. Love and hope. Those are what the world needs more of.

All the set up from Reloaded is paid off in spades. The stakes of what is being fought for in Zion is realized gorgeously though a rotating and diverse cast of heroes that win because they believe they can. They choose to face down evil right to the very end, and that is what carries them through to victory. Every single character gets their moment to choose, to fight, to face mortality. We win because we choose not to give up. Because we know what we are fighting for. Oh and it doesn't hurt how clearly inspired by Aliens this is, never got tired of that. Cameron's influence is everywhere.

I'm just rambling because it's late and what I feel about this movie is hard to quantify. It's not "just" a fluffed up blockbuster made to sell toys, it's the culmination of a saga that clearly means so much to those who created it and I am so glad we have it.

And to those who are reading this who are not convinced by this movie, because I know there's gotta be at least one, just trust me. I understand. The original film is one of the most original, groundbreaking, special, and impactful science fiction films ever made that changed cinema forever. And this, on the surface, may not be the most natural continuation of what was started then. But I cannot recommend enough giving the trilogy as a whole another chance, and trying to see beyond what pre-conceived notions you may have, or what "everyone else" thinks about this movie. I promise if you give it a solid shot, there will be something for you to find beneath the surface. And it's beautiful.

If I had one minor complaint, I still think it should have been Morpheus to die for Neo. I get why it isn't, and the story and symbolism still make sense, but I think that would've hit harder than a second Trinity death, which already hits hard as is. Other than that...I dunno man. Everything about this just works for me on nearly every level. It's gorgeous, engaging, poignant, emotional, deeply hopeful and optimistic, and just flat out cool.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch the Resurrections trailer a hundred MORE times.

Joe Bro liked these reviews