Everything Everywhere All at Once

Everything Everywhere All at Once ★★★★★

I'm not guaranteeing Everything Everywhere All At Once will connect with everyone the way it did with me. But I am not exaggerating when I say that I don't remember the last time I laughed or cried so much during a movie. It's beautiful and goofy and so alive. I loved it.

The cast is perfection. Michelle Yeoh is a powerhouse in every sense of the word here. She's got a LOT to do here, and her range makes every life feel real. It was so brilliant to see Ky Huy Quan back in front of the camera again. He has lost none of his charm, and here he embodies the joy and pain of his character with such precision its straight up triumphant to watch. Having the legendary James Hong on here (at 93!) and a bat-shit and beautiful performance from Jamie Lee Curtis are two more of the films joys. But, the central "Joy" of the movie—the one that surprised me the most because she was the factor I knew the least about—was Stephanie Hsu's performance. The role she has to fill is so tricky and nuanced. Stomping through the movie looking ready for a music video in a barrage of amazing outfits, she brings such heart and pain and cool to the role. i was so blown away. Seriously, everyone is giving everything they have in this movie and it pays off.

The design is gorgeous. Some of the things in this movie are SO STUPID. Like the best, goofiest stupid possible. The best part of it is that none of the playful visuals ever feel like the movie is trying to say "Hey, look how clever I am!" because in a weird way they are perfectly restrained. Only released when the symphony needs a grand swell.

But the best part of this movie, the thing that connected with me the most, is the heart of it. The relationships. The canvas of the movie is HUGE and intimate all at the same time. In fact, it's the merging of those two scales so seamlessly that makes this movie work so well.