Parasite

Parasite ★★★★½

This is such a lean, razor sharp piece of filmmaking. I get why people may think it’s a bit overrated or on the nose with it’s deconstructions of class dynamics (being “so metaphorical” and all), but rewatching this I found it even more rewarding. Not only is it such a perfectly executed machine of alternating genre, it is also so dense and layered that it’s inevitable you’ll see something new after watching it 2nd or 3rd time. It made me reevaluate the ending, pick up on even more of the witty humor, and truly appreciate the visual geography and editing intricacies of the film (that transition of of the rising waters to the over head shot of the family on the raft is brilliant!).

The thing picked up on most were how every single person in this, not just the main family, is pretending and are victims to how they perceive power. I found that the Park family especially just played into what they perceived as high class. They consistently speak in English phrases and buy American. They like Ramen, but throw some Sirloin in it to be safe. They even ignorantly appropriate Native American culture, just like real Americans. The upper class are just more people pretending and dreaming to be something they’re not. Poor families aren’t the only ones who cling to ridiculous dreams and misconceptions of class. This is because class is a construct. It’s a mechanism of control by the one’s really in power and it should be stabbed direction it’s dumb heart.

Anyways, as I write this, Bong has just won for Best Original Screenplay and it gives me hope for the future of cinema.

“Respect!!!”

UPDATE: HECK YEAH!!!! Best Picture, baby!!!!!

BONG RANKED
2019
Capitalism
2020 OSCARS NOMS RANKED
BEST OF 2010s
WHAT I LIKE (TOP 150)
BEST PICTURE WINNERS RANKED

(Btw, this probably sets the record for the amount of my lists a single film is on...)

Jordan liked these reviews