Porco Rosso ★★★★

Miyazaki’s superhero movie.

I normally prefer Miyazaki at his more naturalistic, but this was a rolling good time that felt like an old Hollywood throw back. It was strange watching this back to back with Transit due to both films  being heavy homages to Casablanca. I suppose referencing a film that many consider the best of all time is a decent starting point to launchpad your own ideas. Both are films that also feature an alternate reality Europe in political unease. This one is admittedly much more fun and features a talking pig.

Porco being a talking a pig is actually the best thing about this. Not only does Miyazaki feel no need to establish why he’s a pig, but it’s barely referenced outside it’s implications to his social status and lifestyle. It’s a sly working of magical realism that he will double down with in later films.

The only reservation I have that keeps me from from loving the film is that it seems a little creepy. I know anime and Japan as a whole has a tendency to fetishize young girls, but exactly how old is that girl anyways? And why is it important to clarify that her butt is bigger than it looks. Confusing...

Jordan liked these reviews