Parasite ★★★★★

“It’s a chimpanzee, right?”
“A self-portrait.”

Yeah, um, like, I dunno. This was...easily one of the best movies ever made?

I'm so glad I didn't watch any reviews, see any trailers, or read a synopsis. I went in with limited knowledge, but I certainly had my expectations. I mean, the most highly rated film EVER on Letterboxd? 96 on Metacritic? Countless people I respect saying it's the best film in years? I've been dying to get my hands on this film, and finally it came to Google Play today. I bought and watched it immediately. I was expecting this to be great, and thank goodness everyone was right. The excellence here is unstoppable.

This movie takes you on a trip. When initial plot kicks in, you are totally on board. The storytelling is entertaining, and accessible. You can empathize with every character, and you enjoy the interactions. And when you think you have the movie figured out, it takes you and grabs you by the neck and throws you from left to right violently until literally the final frame. It has one of the most unpredictable screenplays I have ever seen. I had no clue what was going to happen at any moment, and I was shocked over and over. Watching this movie was a little like watching the best episodes of Breaking Bad, only they get you to the place of caring just as much in only the span of 2 hours. There was stress. There was fear. There was laughter. There gasping. There was butt clenching. I was totally thrilled, and I NEED to see this movie again. I want to unpack this masterpiece and drink in this story. I have a feeling this movie is going to be important to me in years to come. But having just watched it half a day ago, I can safely say, it is an instant masterpiece, and a must see for anyone who cares about film.

Also, if this movie could win Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Screenplay at the Oscars, that'd be greaaaaaat.

Marlon De Niro liked these reviews