Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones ★★

If you are suffering as much as I am, please tell me...

Original review HERE.

Still by all means a woeful film in almost every regard, but I can no longer bring myself to wholly scorn the bastard child of the franchise. Attack of the Clones is a difficult middle-chapter that is improved staggeringly through the brilliant Clone Wars series, and whilst on a cinematic and narrative level it falls flat, thematically and tonally Lucas achieves the sense of a young man torn successfully even if heavy-handedly. Anakin’s final moments with his mother are genuinely emotionally stirring, and juxtaposed with his actions afterwards draws the saga’s most opaque line between Ani and Vader, the scared son and the tortured father.

The film fails, but the saga endures, and those final moments between Anakin and Padme accompanied by a gorgeous 35mm CGI-less sunset and John Williams’ transcendent score end the film on a perfect precipice for Lucas’ one true directorial cinematic masterpiece, and one of my favourite films of all time, Revenge of the Sith. I still struggle to defend Clones, but there’s just enough good still in there to give me a new hope that one day it could be redeemed.