Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★★

As I was watching this film at the theater and saw the entire room burst out laughing at one of the scenes were our main characters are dealing with great emotion and sorrow, something in me just clicked. Granted, Aster did the scene with a purposeful comedic tone, yet at the same time, it showed a community of true empathy towards a member that was hurting... and we, the audience, sat there laughing at her. I'm pretty sure this accomplished Aster's intention, and he's probably laughing at us for falling for that trick. Because, in the end, we proved him right.

It is by being so distant, alien, and opposite to us that a film can work as a reflection of ourselves. We are shown how selfish, apathetic and individualistic our mindset is, to the point that we react with disgust, horror and even laughter to a community that truly understands each other. I sound crazy, I know; because this film has so many weird and disturbing aspects going for it, but I just can't deny how critical this film is of ourselves by what it shows us and by the reaction we instinctively have towards it.

I think this film works on so many levels. For starters, it shows how herd mentality works and how cults attract people into them, despite how hurtful they may be as we look closer. Yet it also works as a critique of our society. The cherry on top is just how weird and beautiful it is to look at. Even at its most horrific, this film is just gorgeous, to the point that it gives you a weird feeling just by watching it.

I'm sure there is so much more hidden inside this film that needs further inspection for it to be completely appreciated, but as it is, it is already one of my favorite films of the year. It just struck a chord with me, just like Hereditary did back in 2018, and I can't wait to see what Aster gives us next time.

Jorge Ortega liked this review