Love Exposure

Love Exposure ★★★★★

Recommendation Contest Winner #1

Here it is. The film I've been recommended the most over the years. THIS was the film I was going to adore apparently, according to everyone who knows me and who had seen it. And now, it also won this tournament.
To say that it delivered, would be an understatement. This is without a doubt one of the most engaging, emotional, rich, complex, humorous and just transcendent films I have ever seen.

This is a rom-com apparently? But it really isn't that simple. This film borrows from pretty much every genre out there to create something completely unique, and something I for one never have seen anything like. With it's 4 hour long runtime, it does seem like it's maybe a bit slower paced, a bit more oriented in slowly engaging the viewer? But oh no. This is, without exaggeration, one of the most fast-paced films I have ever seen. There's not a dull moment, and it never loses one even once. With its 4 hours of raw brilliance, this is also among the most thematically complex films I have personally experienced. This doesn't toy with a single idea, no this talks about everything you could possibly think of, all explored within these two characters' very complex archs. The characters of Yu and Yoko might be the best characters I've ever seen on screen.

This is not the time for me to go into details as to why and how this thematically rich and emotionally resonant film means so much to me, I've hopefully already done that with this little review of mine. But my god, this is a new favorite.

Josef "I beat Elden Ring" Qazi liked these reviews