Blade Runner 2049

It's too damn long. That’s my chief complaint. For the story they were telling, it could have been condensed pretty far.

Joi was interesting for a little bit, but then there was too much time spent on dumb things with her (like that technically impressive merge with the hooker) and not enough to make us care about her as a character.

Gosling was fine™ but nothing all that special. Was he meant to find some of these things, or was it coincidence? I don’t feel like it committed to either one.

Jared Leto continues his recent trend of just being an insufferable character where I really don’t care what happens to him, just so long it gets him off screen. Also that dialogue, oof. His assistant (Luv?) was so one dimensional that I would have actually kind of welcomed the predictable element of her going rogue and “helping” in some capacity. So I guess it’s good she didn’t? All I could think of was Xenia Onatopp from GoldenEye, which is not a good thing.

The little sect of replicants who were planning a rebellion just added another piece of story that it ultimately couldn’t deliver on. Why couldn’t it have been as simple as get Harrison Ford to see his daughter? And yeah, I agree that he felt a little more like Han Solo, but I’m enjoying the whole Ford “don’t give a shit about anything” feeling that we’ve gotten that past few years.

All in all: a decent enough Sci Fi with all the generic strings that come attached to that, but it just doesn’t have the same sway for me as the original. Might just be nostalgia, but I think it builds a story too big for what it ultimately wants to achieve.