2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

70mm
AFI Silver

Wow. Just wow.

This was the only thing I could think throughout this amazing movie. I have never been so blown away by a movie for as long as I can remember. As a film lover, as well as a person with eyes, this movie was just on another level.

From a technical standpoint, there is no better movie than this one. The techniques used to actually make and film this movie are unbelievable. There were certain shots in this movie that left me in utter disbelief. The framing was AMAZING.

This movie has been called slow by many, and it is, but so deliberately. Every shot is so carefully and expertly crafted and the viewer has ample time to absorb every single frame.

The sound all around was incredible. From the iconic score, to the breathing, to the powerful silence of space. The sound on a movie like this is so important due to the overwhelming lack of dialogue for the majority of the film.

The set design was also unlike anything I've ever seen. This movie manages to create some of the most aesthetically pleasing scenery I've ever seen.

Kubrick's vision was absolutely game-changing and that is so clear to see.
Honestly, I feel like this movie could've been called 2091: A Space Odyssey and could have come out today and people would have still been blown away. We just wouldn't have all the countless sci-fi films that drew inspiration and influence from Kubrick's masterpiece.

Seeing this movie in theaters with the original print was truly special and if you have the opportunity to catch it before it's done, I HIGHLY recommend.

Sorry for the long rant, but here's a mini one: if you are watching a movie that has absolute, pin-drop silence for any length of time, take that as your hint to not dig your hand into your bag of popcorn at that exact moment. I love popcorn at the movies but c'mon people.

Josh liked these reviews