Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw ★★★½

SO, WHAT HAS FAST AND FURIOUS BECOME? AND WHY ALL THOSE HIGH-PROFILE CAMEOS? AND ALL THOSE END CREDIT SCENES?
This “film” has a terrible script riddled with atrocious and severely on-the-nose dialogue, paper thin characterization for our villain and our leads in some ways, poor pacing in some spots, a random trip to Samoa that brings the narrative momentum to a screeching halt for a bit, and jokes that land and jokes that drag on for far too long (those cameos are included here).
And yet, I loved it. It contains some of the most gloriously over-the-top action scenes I’ve seen in some time, with a noticeable blend of CGI with some practical effects and stuntwork, some of which was filmed in-camera, and some of which looks rather stunning.
What the film lacks in storytelling with its somewhat haphazard plotting and story/characater development, it more than makes up for in genuinely thrilling action set-pieces.
It’s not anything all that great, really, but it’s damn entertaining and hilariously fun in some areas.
Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham are always a joy to watch here, and play off each other nicely, even if their machismo and constant bickering can get annoying and stall the momentum a little bit.
Vanessa Kirby was a nice addition to the cast, and plays off of each of the titular characters really well. Idris Elba is good, but not particularly interesting to watch and not as awesome as he could have been. The film is pretty bonkers as it stands, but it could have really maximized the villain to his full potential, which I guess was kinda the point, but still, more would have been nice.
David Leitch knows how to direct action, and he delivers a damn good ride.
Fun!