Alien Resurrection ★★½

5/10

RON PEARLMAN WITH THE THERMOS GUN FOR THE WIN!

I've been so curious about this film forever. I never really wanted to see it but I was interested. In the same way of when you're expecting a jump scare in a horror film. You don't really want to see it but you're too intrigued to look away, so you watch.

And um, this movie is dumb. There's no way around it, it's just dumb. I think thats mainly due to the direction and execution of this film. It did not work at all for me. It's almost like the film has TOO much energy.

There are elements of good in this though. Whedon has elements of good in this movie that could've worked but ultimately didn't. It might have worked if he also directed it. The director of Amelie doing an "Alien" movie does not work.

Whedon stated that the film he wrote was much more "tongue in cheek." Honestly, I can see that working much better than this. His tone would work much better for scenes like where a guy pulls out a piece of his own brain.

Although at the same time, I'm not sure. The characters are all kind of unlikable. They all don't like each other but care for each other. However they don't. It just did not sit well with me. Also I have no clue what Sigourney Weaver is doing in this...roleplaying as like a cat or something. Everything is just off about this.

The ending is just confusion layered upon disappointment. All in all, I didn't hate it. They're were things I liked, the underwater scene was nifty. The aliens looked good (The 90s CGI was unfortunate). However the film is just....off. Lacking or having too much of something.

JORDAN liked these reviews