The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather: Part II ★★★★★

10/10

I had seen this when I was somewhat young. Maybe too young to fully appreciate this film. Also maybe too young to fully understand the film. However, I knew I liked some of it. So admittedly so, when first starting my letterboxd, and began to binge rate all the past films I've seen. When it came to this one, I just gave it five stars.

Because...I don't know. It felt right.

Finally though, I decided to rewatch this now much older and maybe wiser. To officially know how I exactly feel about this film.

And this movie is awesome!

I love the beginning, with young Vito Corleone when he first arrives in America. He doesn't speak the entire time. Everyone thinks he's mute or has a mental defect or something like that. Then when he's finally alone in his room, he begins to sing. Just showing how everyone underestimates him but there is so much more to this character even at a young age.

Vito and Micheal Corleone's storylines are so good because of how interconnected they are. Vito's rise to power is because of family and Michael's fall is also because of family. Al Pacino and Robert De Niro are both excellent in their own ways in this. Pacino as Michael, only ever has his Pacino outbursts when the scenes involve his family. When Diane Keaton tells him the truth about his son, it's an incredible display of acting on, well, both their parts. His eyes clearly filling with rage and his lip trembling. One of the best scenes of the film.

De Niro gives a such nuanced performance as Vito Corleone. He's very reserved and quiet but you always know what he's thinking because of the performance and how the old Don interacts with him. It's so easy to believe how this young man turns into Marlon Brando. De Niro is honestly, my favorite part of this film.

So overall, many of you probably are already aware of this. It's a masterpiece! Cast is great, story is great, the cinematography with the shadows, great. I obviously recommend this. And if you've already seen it, I'm probably not stating anything new. One of the most famous films of all time.

I just do love talking about masterpieces.

JORDAN liked these reviews