The Double Life of Véronique

The Double Life of Véronique ★★★★

This movie was my introduction to the world of Kieślowski, whom I knew was very popular with film critics and lovers due to his Three Colors Trilogy and Dekalog series. Upon reading the premise of this particular film, I was thinking it was going to be in the vein of Persona or Mulholland Drive. But instead, this isn’t really a psychological thriller at all, despite what some websites like to list it as.

This is a drama, and a simple one at that. Not much happens over the course of the movie, at least in plot. A lot happens over the course of the movie in terms of emotion. Here, people wanting a lot of plot will be let down. People willing to immerse themselves in color, music, sights, sounds, and raw human emotion will be rewarded.

Many reviews here talk about its use of colors and it’s exquisite use of cinematography (true it’s not the cleanest or most prestige, but it’s balance of soft, subtle dynamics does the trick), so I don’t have to go too into it.

I will give the beautiful use of music a shout-out, which is key because our characters lives center around music. In turn, the characters relationship to each other is represented through music, among other things.

The movie is a mirror image of itself, not only in plot, but in scenes, melodies, light and shadow. It is an experience, and repeated views will make you appreciate it more when you’re not focused on the plot and can focus solely on all the subtle references.

Unfortunately, this movie will not be for everyone, and understandably so. It’s pacing won’t win everyone over, it’s depiction of love won’t win everyone over. It’s depiction of hopes and dreams and desires will lose some as well.

But all in all, it is an emotional movie. It is a beautiful movie. It is a human movie. And it deserves a chance. Not a perfect film. His Dekalog and Three Colors are better. But it is worth the watch. It is worth the experience.

Block or Report