2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★

The technicalities of this movie astound me. The entrancing visuals, the mix of haunting and eerie drones with classical music, the editing, the representation of time and life, and the sound design, all work to create this movie. And it works. But beyond that lies a sort of unexplained quality to specific parts of this movie. Do I have any idea what the hell this movie was really about? No not really. I can take a guess at it but I think a lot of it was made for discussion. Do I understand what the movie was saying? Well I thought I did until the ending. The ways this film represents life, the use of our creation, and then the eventual danger we cause to ourselves as a species was eerily accurate as both a message we can continue to understand in our daily lives, as well as something we can use to examine the future. HAL 9000 is so similar to the worries of AI today and it astounds me. Like the scene where HAL beats Dave in chess. Wow. But the infamous ending. Like what? I understand there was probably a deeper purpose, even in the fact that it is unexplained means something. But I just don't get it. Regardless, this movie is great and hit me on a level I wasn't necessarily expecting. The movie is iconic and once you get past the first 40 minutes, not only does the beginning feel a bit more relevant, the movie actually began to feel like a masterpiece on another level. I loved it but I also hated it. But whatever it was great.

Jaewon liked these reviews