Son of Frankenstein ★★★★

"Am I supposed to have whipped up a monster the way a house wife whips up an omelet?" - Wolf (awesome name),

- Classic Universal Monster Films Ranked: boxd.it/28yz0
- Daily Horror Hunt #12 (June 2019): boxd.it/2XMsk
Day 13. Sir Basil Rathbone was born on this day in 1892. (He's Sherlock Holmes!!!!!!!). Watch one of his movies and celebrate a great actor!

I like that this film takes a dig at the fact that people fuck up and call the monster Frankenstein all the time.

In the same year that Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Stagecoach and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington all came out, so did the third installment in the Frankenstin series titled "Son of Frankenstein." Basil Rathbone plays Baron Wolf Von Frankenstein, a family man who returns to his father's home/laboratory and finds out that the monster is still around, and being controlled by Ygor, the original Dr. Frankenstein's assistant.

I appreciate that a lot of this is about the aftermath and covering up of the Monster's murders and that anyone with the name of Frankenstein is a crime. I love that there is a character like Inspector Krogh, a man whose arm was ripped off by the monster as a child and now has an adjustable arm. The cinematography is wonderful and while the film can be a little slow at times there is always something happening. There is a part where the adorable child is the only potential witness to the monster and is talking about it in front of guests who slowly realize what might be happening and it is one of the more effective scenes I've seen in a film in some time. It's nice to know the monster is still good with kids. Karloff and Lugosi are great in their monstrous roles and Rathbone is wonderful and elevates a script that could be more of a snooze without such effective performances. Recommend.

liked these reviews