Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★★

"Hold up, you dig on multiverses?" -Ryan Hui (NIF)

2018 Ranked: boxd.it/1O9TO

If you are saying in your review that this has "saved" the superhero genre slap yourself in the face and spend some time on the googles.

Now that that's out of the way, this film is a true delight and will set a precedent for what is considered possible in animation, story complexity and diverse understandings of superhero myths in blockbuster films. Children under 15 that watch this film will talk about it with each other when they are in their 30 and 40s. As much as I enjoyed it my 11 year old loved it even more because she could find heroes in it for herself. There is a vibe to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse that I haven't felt since Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, not that they are especially similar in story, but in the sense that a movie this complicated could be so readable and have such clarity. The ability to blend comic book short-hand effectively into film is at its peak here.

In addition to a great story the animation and voice work is wonderful. Yes you should see it. While opinions may differ, anyone that rates this below 3 stars is being a contrarian.

P.S. First person to name the quote reference gets coolness points.

P.P.S. the soundtrack is what I'm listening to next time I think about jogging.

liked these reviews