The Dead Zone ★★★½

"When it happens, I don't know, it feels like I'm dying inside"
-Christopher Walken, duh...it's the dead zone.
AND
"I've got a vision of being President some day" -Martin Sheen, being psychic.

- David Cronenberg Ranked: boxd.it/2gzqO
- Daily Horror Hunt #15 (Sept. '19): boxd.it/3JrCO
Day 17: Watch a movie by Craven, Cronenberg or Carpenter

I don't shake hands with people because ain't no dead zone psychic going to see my plans for the future.

In the Dead Zone, a man in love goes into a coma only to awaken five years later and realize that he is psychic. When he touches a person's hand he can see something about them that is convenient for the plot. At a slow pace the film details his recovery from the coma and adventures as a psychic trying to move on with his life. I really like this movie.

Christopher Walken prancing around with his walking cane solving mysteries with his psychic powers is a mood that I am into so sign me up. He's got such a perfect well-intentioned creepiness to him that no other actor quite has so him as a psychic is perfect. What I like about this movie is that it isn't just one plot but a scattered series of events in the man's life designed to show you what the power might be like. In addition, the film does a good job of allowing time to reflect on whether a man like this would be able to fit into modern society and what, if any, obligations he has because of his power.

Recommended to fans of old school thrillers.

liked these reviews