Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★½

Manson, they said.  I had my doubts. Phew! He managed to  pull it off. This film surprised me in a good way.

This is a very thoughtful piece of fiction that pays homage to the memory of Sharon Tate and 1969’s Hollywood in a beautiful way.  Yes, that’s right, I said the word beautiful in a Quentin Tarantino review. It is a film that requires more patience than his other films, and some may not be up for that, but I was still engaged with questions that needed to be answered over the 2 hr 45 mins.  Sure he lingers in a few spots and you could argue more editing could have tightened things up.  Heck I think I even caught an editing glitch in one of Timothy Oliphant’s scenes where his head bobs around unexpectedly. No, I didn’t nod off!  And there are one too many nasty feet close-ups.  But I can put that all aside because the pluses way outweighed the minuses.  There are so many brilliant and memorable scenes.  So many.  QT has provided us with a lifetime of meme fodder.  Both Brad and Leo blow the doors off with their performances, particularly Leo.  Boy I hate loving that guy.  Someone said he hadn’t been directed by a woman in a long while.  Movie Gods, please get Lynne Ramsay to direct him in something. Margot Robbie’s Sharon Tate may not have had the crisp and witty dialogue that Leo and Brad had, but her presence is very strong and perfect for the role she plays in this epic three day bromance.  And the finale that ties it all up in a rock ‘em sock ‘em QT bow is something you’ll be remembering for a very long time.

Cannot wait to see it again.

Julie liked these reviews