Blood Simple

Blood Simple ★★★★

For their debut, the Coen’s came out with a bang!

Blood Simple
 is a clever & stylish modern noir that gave way to everything that makes a Coen Brothers film a Coen Brothers film: unique cinematic devices, twisting narratives and unforgettable casts of characters. Hell, Blood Simple is as inventive and ambitious of a debut as you could get. With a perfect mix of genres and moods that, in the hands of other first-time filmmakers, could seem far too messy. The Coen’s unique visual flair and specifically their use of shadow and color help bring this sleazy tale of murder & betrayal to another level. The impeccable textures, creative experimentation with light and dark, and distinctive camera work all serve to bring life to this noir aesthetic that I just adore. To this day, I believe Blood Simple is one of the Coen’s most visually stunning films. It’s packed full of unique visual cues and technical virtuosity that make it such a memorable experience. And even with the low budget and lack of experience, the Coen’s were still able to make one of the best neo-noir films I’ve seen, and something that, 36 years later, still stands out in their vast catalogue of classics.

Jack liked these reviews