Us

Us ★★★½

Jordan Peele’s sophomore feature is an audacious and thought-provoking horror film that I found to be an all around improvement from Get Out. I found Us to be a true display of Peele’s directing abilities, fully showing his talents on building suspense and creating an eerie atmosphere. And the terrific sound design, visuals and music aid Peele in making Us the freakiest it can be. I must add that I found the film to be hilarious as well, with perfect comedic timing. The jokes never felt out of place or awkward, which is expected when you have a comedic genius like Jordan Peele behind the camera. Now the biggest strength of the film, is the performances, especially from Lupita Nyong’o who is brilliant; easily the greatest performance of the year and it will stay that way for awhile. Her performance is definitely the standout but the rest of the family is great as well (Winston Duke is seriously the most lovable dude ever). The great performances Peele gets from his actors are mainly due to the fact that he is great at writing likable and relatable characters that keep us on the edge of our seat, hoping to see these characters survive from the terror they’re facing. With a virtually perfect two acts, comes my only major flaw with the film, which is a quite lazy and anti-climactic final 20 minutes that left me very dissatisfied. I can’t really go in depth with that without spoiling anything so I’ll keep it at that. Overall, Peele impressed me with this film and delivers a film that is equally as entertaining as it is frightening. It looks like Jordan Peele has yet another hit on his hands!

“Therefore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them.”

Jack liked these reviews