Ready or Not

Ready or Not ★★★½

"What the fuck happened to you?"
"In-laws."

Finally I was able to find some time to watch a movie. I struggled to just go 4 days without watching a movie, what's the longest you can go?

Ready Or Not is a wonderfully gory and fun ride loosely based on the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connel which has been adapted about 100 times.

It's bad luck for the groom to see the bride in the wedding dress before the wedding. And uh yeah that's about right to say the least. I also love how ripped off strips of the gown are later used as like a trail of crumbs. The performances were surprisingly really good from everyone, but ESPECIALLY our queen Samara Weaving. Like seriously just within the first 5 minutes I fell in love with her character. She plays Grace with such a soft and cute charm she made me instantly care and invest in the character. This goes right atop of my Samara Weaving performances ranked list. An entire bonus star just for her because she is a star 🤩🤩🤩.

"If she's alive by dawn, we'll all die!"

Just the hilariously absurd craziness of the drive of this film terrifically adds into the "fucking rich people" themes. When the fuck up mother finds her son with a black eye after shooting someone, she says "I'm so proud of you." Ready Or Not conveys its themes with its dialogue and just the absurd concept and hypocritical characters of the film to the point of embarrassing hilarity. It's quite similar to Knives Out in the presentation of its themes (But neither are even close to Parasites brilliantly subtle and layered tiramisu of themes 😏). And even though I laughed my ass off at the ending, my afterthought was that it was a backstep in its themes. Didnt the ending justify the rich family's actions? If nothing happened and the family were exposed to be dumb crazy bitches, it would've complemented the narrative much better.

In addition with the humor of this film, I felt there were quite a few tonal inconsistencies. It was handled well for a solid amount of the film and even though I thought most of the jokes were really funny, it nonetheless jumbled the flow of the film. But my biggest problem with the film was the score. I found it really overbearing and just another typically lame and cliche horror movie score. My earphones accidentally went mute without me noticing during one of the scenes, and it became infinitely more tense. That says a lot.

Although sprinkled with some fantastic and fun sequences, overall I cant help but feel there just barely isnt enough to separate this film from many other modern horror movies. It can start to feel a little repetitive and predictable at times, and just doesn't have enough to add to the genre (except samara weaving duhh). Hey ykno maybe j should go on a quest and do a mini Samara Weaving movie marathon.

jun liked this review