7 Plus Seven

7 Plus Seven ★★★★½

This follow up to the original exploration of a wide variety of British youths in the 60s spends a little too much time reminding us who these kids were. I guess when there was actually seven years between the two films the catch up was probably a good idea, but now it feels like half of the film is just clips from the first in the series. Later these clips get expanded upon, and the now-fourteen-year-olds share their new points of view on love and class and education. The class separation is probably the most fascinating of the topics discussed this time around. Everybody seems like such a product of their background when the sample is so wide and covered so well. I'm excited to see how this develops. It's also fascinating to see these people with seven more years to their names. There's a ton of shyness that wasn't on display in the earlier entry, but teenagers will be teenagers. It's always fun to hear young people make grand proclamations about the way things are and the way they should be. The film captures their limited perspectives in a way that isn't condescending nor using them for humor. It's just how kids are.